Thursday, October 14, 2010

quack, quack

I have to admit it, I am starting to get a little rundown.  I have been going full speed ahead for the past month and I am exhausted!!



I have asked for all of this and I love being busy but I am starting to feel like I am not balancing it all very well.  There are so many obligations...family, work, friends, and personal obligations, the list could keep going!  When I am doing work and blogging, I feel so guilty for not playing with my daughter and enjoying her. But, on the flip side, when I am with her, my mind is racing with all the things I need to get done!! And so the guilt trip begins in my head! It is so hard to find the time to hang out with girlfriends, and when I do, I feel bad that I am not spending time with my husband.  I have gray hairs sprouting up and no time to get them taken care (Can we say Tarjay run for some Nice & Easy?) and I haven't been running as much as I should. Then, I am throwing building a new house and selling the old one into the mix. Yep, it's official! I have lost my mind!

I am always so amazed by women who are able to juggle it all effortlessly. Or, do they feel the same way so many of us do, like someone or something is getting the shaft in your life?

 I always think of a duck when I start to break down juggling everything in life...they look so calm on the surface, gliding along the water with ease,  but under the water, they are paddling like crazy! I hope that I come across as calm and no one can see my feet going ninety miles an hour!!


So, ladies, how do you find balance???

Also, please check out my guest post at Haven and Home today!! I am talking about the things I love in my home in her "Love the One You're With" series...I adore Marianne and I am super excited to be on her blog!

9 comments:

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great image to describe this feeling! It is hard to stay focused on the moment and what you are doing then, but if you can it really helps. I have been in the process of elimination over the past several months, deciding what I can and can't do, and after completing commitments to things I no longer can fit in I try to stay determined not to take on any more of those tasks. It's pretty hard, saying no, but something has to give, right?! Janell

Unknown said...

Ah....I think we're all paddling like mad under the surface. I think you have to respect your personal obligations and priorities. My youngest has just now, this week, started staying for a full day of school. So, that makes a huge difference.

And, something I try to remind myself....is that the world doesn't put pressure on us, we put it on ourselves. Sometimes we need to let some things go.

Good luck with the balancing act!
~ Elizabeth

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Jade, I feel the same way a lot of the time. Just made another to-do list and it made me feel so overwhelmed. Congrats on the guest post. Headed over now...

Unknown said...

Can so relate. And doesn't if feel like some weeks are super smooth and some send us reeling. The to do list is always playing in my head. Trying to simmer down over here as well! Love the image of the girl on the floor. So me this week!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh I feel the same way and I don't have kids to worry about. I feel like I'm going in a million different directions at once and in the end I'm letting everyone down.

I finally just came to terms that I can't do everything. So I've been trying to schedule my blog posts and make sure I'm the computer by the time my husband gets home so I can enjoy the little things.

I also try not to touch the computer on the weekends and the break is really amazing!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

You hit the nail on the head! It's so hard to calm the constant chatter in the head that prevents us from just being in the moment. Sometimes, when I'm playing with my son I'll be thinking of blog posts, and I just try to return my attention to him, no judging, no beating myself up, just a refocus of my attention. It's a challenge to not be so hard on ourselves, but we're our own worst critic.

traci zeller designs said...

Ummm ... I think we all feel the same way ... and I even use the same "duck" analogy in my own head! ((hugs)) from one busy mom to another!

Carol@6WilsonBlog.com said...

Working full time, being married with teenagers, blogging at night, projects on days off, family, etc etc, it's nearly impossible to not feel guilty about something at every turn. Oh, and then add in the economy, yikes! That image of the woman on the ground is PERFECT. Who doesn't feel like that today? I look back to when my girls were little -- I could actually get so much more done -- I'd paint rooms right around them! Like Megan said above, we are our own worst critics, no doubt. Every day I just try to be thankful that I'm capable of at least attempting my list and I feel so much better!

Emily A. Clark said...

Oh Jade! I could've written this exact post, word for word. I'm sorry you feel this way but it is definitely comforting for me to know I'm not the only one. Especially the mommy guilt part. So hard to know what and how much to do and when to just say no!

I love that first image. I should print it and frame it for my office :)

Post a Comment